Who We Are and What We Do
This page is meant to be a resource for RJ literature. We cannot possibly list every article, book or resource, but hope this can help you with your needs. If not, please feel free to contact us.
RJ IN COMMUNITIES
- Advancing Accountability: Moving Toward Victim Restoration. Pittsburgh, PA: National Center for Juvenile Justice. Bender, V., King, M., Torbet, P. (2006).
- Critiquing the critics: A brief response to critics of restorative justice. British Journal of Criminology, 42, 596-615. Morris, A. (2002).
- Empathy development in youth through restorative practices. Public Service Psychology, 25(2). Pranis, K. (2000).
- “Implementing Balanced and Restorative Justice: The Illinois Experience.” Children’s Legal Rights Journal Vol. 24, No. 2 (Summer 2004): 22-36. Print. [link: Bazemore, G. (2006) Measuring what really matters. American Prosecutors Research Institute, Florida Atlantic University Community Justice Institute and the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention, 12-39. Ashley, Jessica; Newman, Peter; Covey, Sharon; Gray, Donyelle L.
- In pursuit of paradigm: A theory of restorative justice. Paper presented at the X111 World Congress of Criminology, Rio de Janeiro. McCold, P., & Wachtel, T. (2003, 10-15th August). [html] [pdf]
- Restitution Implemented in Saanich. S.D. #63. MacGregor, Pat.
- Listening to victims- A critique of restorative justice policy and practice in the United States. Federal Probation, Volume 68. Mika, H. (2004).
- Restorative Justice Dialouge: Annotated Bibliography of Empirical Studies on Mediation, Conferencing and Circles. Umbright, M., Coates, R., Voss, B. (2003 )
- Restorative justice in everyday life: Beyond the formal ritual. In H. Strang & J. Braithwaite (Eds.),
- Restorative justice and civil society. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, Wachtel, T., & McCold, P. (2001). [html] [pdf]
- Returning Justice to the Community: The Indianapolis Juvenile Restorative Justice Experiment. Hudson Institute Crime Control Policy Center. McGarrell, Edmund F., Olivares, Kathleen, Crawford, Kay, Kroovand, Natalie. (2000)
- Circle in the Square Nancy Reistenberg
- Conferencing Handbook: New Real Justice Training Manual. Terry O’Connell, Ben Wachtel and Ted Wachtel.
- Conferencing Handbook. The New REAL Justice Training Manual. O'Connell, T., Wachtel, B., Wachtel, T. The Piper's Press, Pipersville, PA. 1999.
- Crime, Shame and Reintegration. Braithwaite, J. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge,1989.
- Heart of Hope Kay Pranis
- Justpeace Ethics: A Guide to Restorative Justice and Peacebuilding. Jarem Sawatsky and Howard Zehr. 2009. Lutterworth Press.
- New Directions in Restorative Justice: Issues, Practice, Evaluation. Elliott, E. and Gordon, R. M. (Eds) Willan Publishing, Devon. 2005.
- Peacemaking Circles: From Crime to Community. Kay Pranis. Living Justice Press. 2003.
- REAL Justice: How we can revolutionize our response to wrongdoing. Wachtel, T. The Piper's Press, Pipersville, PA. 1997
- Restorative Justice and Civil Society. Strang, H & Braithwaite, J. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge 2001
- Restoring Respect for Justice: A Symposium. Martin Wright and Howard Zehr. 2008 Waterside Press.
- Shame and Pride: Affect, Sex and the Birth of the Self. Nathanson, D.L. W W Norton and Co, New York. 1992
- The Little Book of Restorative Justice. Howard Zehr. 2002. Good Books Intercourse.
- The Little Book of Circle Processes. Kay Pranis. 2005. Good Books Intercourse.
- The Little Book of Victim Offender Conferencing. Lorriane Stutzman Amstutz. 2005. Good Books Intercourse.
Theory & Philosophy
- Cavanagh, T. (2000). Restorative justice and the common good: Creating a culture of forgiveness and reconciliation. Retrieved 9th September, 2003, from http://www.loyno.edu/twomey/blueprint/blueprint-april2000.htm
- Claassen, R. (2002). A peacemaking model. Retrieved 6th November, 2003, from www.fresno.edu/pacs/
- Claassen, R. (2003). A peacemaking model: A biblical perspective. Retrieved 6th November, 2003, from http://www.fresno.edu/pacs/docs/model.shtml
- Gabbay, Z. (2005) Justifying Restorative Justice: A Theoretical Justification for the Use of Restorative Justice Practices. Journal of Dispute Resolution Vol 2, 349-397
- Nathanson, D. L. (1997). From empathy to community. In J. A. Winer (Ed.), The Annual of Psychoanalysis (Vol. 25). Chicago: Chicago Institute for Psychoanalysis.
- Sherman, Lawrence T., Strang, Heather. Restorative Justice, The Evidence. The Smith Institute.
RJ IN SCHOOLS
- American Psychological Association Zero Tolerance Task Force. (2008) Are zero tolerance policies effective in schools. American Psychologist Vol. 63, No. 9, 852–862.
- Keeping Kids in School: Restorative Justice, Punitive Discipline, and the School to Prison Pipeline. Journal of Law and Education. Gonzales, T. (2011)
- Practicing Restorative Justice in School Communities: the Challenge of Culture Change. Morrison, Brenda. (2005)
- Restorative justice and school discipline: Mutually exclusive? In H. Strang & J. Braithwaite (Eds.), Restorative justice and civil society. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. Cameron, L., & Thorsborne, M. (2001).
- Restorative justice in schools. Support for Learning, 17(3). Hopkins, B. (2002).
- Restorative Measures in Schools Survey, 2011. University of Minnesota Humphrey Institute of Public Policy and Minnesota Department of Education, 1-11. Musaifer, S., Reistenberg, N., Thomas, C. (2011).
- Restorative Practices in Schools: Research Reveals power of Restorative Approach Part I. International Institute of Restorative Practices E-Forum April 27, 2007, 1-2. Porter, A. (2007)
- Restorative Practices in Schools: Research Reveals power of Restorative Approach Part II. International Institute of Resorative Practices E-Forum June 6, 2007, 1-3. Porter, A. (2007)
- SaferSanerSchools: Transforming school culture with restorative practices. Retrieved 28th August, 2003. Mirsky, L. (2003).
- SaferSanerSchools: Restoring community in a disconnected world.Paper presented at the "Reshaping Australian Institutions Conference: Restorative Justice and Civil Society, Australian National University, Canberra. Wachtel, T. (1999). [html] [pdf]
- School violence and community conferencing: The benefits of restorative justice. Paper presented at the Healthy School Communities: APAPDC National Online Conference 2000. Thorsborne, M. (2000).
- Transforming school culture. Paper presented at the "Dreaming of a New Reality," the Third International Conference on Conferencing, Circles and other Restorative Practices, Minneapolis, Minnesota. Piperato, D. F., & Roy, J. J. (2002, 8th-10th August).
- A Discipline that Restores. Ron and Roxanne Claassen. 2009.
- Circle in the Square Nancy Reistenberg
- Educating Esme. Esme Raji Codell 2009. Algonquin Books of Chapel Hill.
- Heart of Hope Kay Pranis
- Implementing Restorative Practices in Schools. 2014 Thorsborne, M. & Blood, P.
- Just Schools: A Whole School Approach to Restorative Justice. Hopkins, B. Jessica Kingsley Publishers, London. 2004.
- Restorative Practices and Bullying: Rethinking Behaviour Management. Thorsborne, M. & Vinegrad, D. Inyahead Press. 2006
- Restorative Practices for Schools: A Resource. The Restorative Practices Development Team, School of Education, University of Waikato. 2003.
- Restorative Practices in Schools: Rethinking Behaviour Management. Thorsborne, M. & Vinegrad, D. Inyahead Press. 2006
- Restoring Safe School Communities. Morrison, B. The Federation Press, Leichhardt NSW 2007.
- The Little Book of Restorative Discipline for Schools. Lorriane Stutzman Amstutz and Judy H. Mullet. 2005. Good Books Intercourse.
- The Little book of Restorative Justice for Colleges and Universities. 2013 Karp, D.
- The Restorative Practices Handbook: for Teachers, Disciplinarians and Administrators. Costello, B., Wachtel, J. & Wachtel, T. International Institute for Restorative Practices (IIRP) Bethlehem Pa. 2009
Programs in Schools
- Braithwaite, V., Ahmed, E., Morrison, B., & Reinhart, M. (2001, September). Researching prospects for restorative justice practice in schools: The Life at School Survey 1996-1999. Paper presented at the Restorative Justice Conference, Leuven.
- Hubbard, B (2008) Circles at Rosehill College, NZ. Retrieved with permission from http://schoolcircles.blogspot.com/ May 14, 2008.
- Ierley, A., Ivker, C. (2003) Restoring School Communities: A Report on the Colorado Restorative Justice in Schools Program. VOMA Connections, Research and Practice Winter 2003.
- Marshall, P., Shaw, G., & Freeman, E. (2002, 8th-10th August). Restorative practices: Implications for educational institutions. Paper presented at the "Dreaming of a New Reality," the Third International Conference on Conferencing, Circles and other Restorative Practices, Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Morrison, B. (2001, 5th-7th March). [pdf] Restorative justice and school violence: Building theory and practice. Paper presented at the International Conference on Violence in Schools and Public Policies, Palais de l'UNESCO, Paris.
- Morrison, B. (2001). [pdf] The school system: Developing its capacity in the regulation of a civil society. In Restorative justice and civil society. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Morrison, B. (2002). [Word Doc] Bullying, Violence and Alienation. Unpublished. Centre for Restorative Justice, ANU.
Theory & Philosophy
- Claassen, R. (1993). Discipline that restores. Conciliation Quarterly Newsletter, 12(2).
- Claassen, R. (2001). An introduction to discipline that restores. VORP Newsletter of the Central Valley.
- Lewis, Sharon. (2009) Improving School Climate, Findings From Schools Implementing Restorative Practices. International Institute of Restorative Practices.